Thursday, November 18, 2010

Art - Artistic Pursuits

Art has always been a welcome relief here. Nature Journals and drawing made school a lot better for my girl and for me. I've enjoyed learning to draw - art in school was fun and that's about all.  When we started homeschooling I had to get my head around art being not just fun but also having things to learn. Scary.

We started out with how to teach art to young people by Evan Moore. Lots of fun projects looking at each of the elements of art. That was fun while it lasted although for many of those sessions there was more theory than fun.

About that time we also added in Drawing iwth Children. I learn heaps. We even had some fun, But for 5 and 7 yr old's it was just too complicated. We really didn't have the fine motor skills to do anything like this.

Then someone suggested Artistic Pursuits. We worked through the books sometimes slowly, sometimes seriously. Generally steadily. I've enjoyed the mix of art appreciation. ( It makes up for my Charlotte Mason failings) serious technique and fun.

Stopping ans starting isn't so good. We've worked through all of the K-34 materials they are fun, and can be enjoyed at a much higher level than the suggested K-3 we've all learnt from these.

The composition and drawing books are great. There is enough of a balance to develop even my youngest who decided early on that he wasn't any good at art becasue he couldn't draw like his siblings. I'm hping so we make it inot the colour books... but this is what we have acheived.

Drawing Animals - the Naturalist age 10


No comments: