Saturday, May 16, 2009

Afternoon Topics - Science

We're working through the first chapters of Apologia as an introduction to real science, or at least the definitions. As a family we love science discussions - my engineer would glean from my science teacher husband all day if he could. We've been known to discuss atoms and the periodic table over lunch. OK mum's knowledge is very rusty! Apologia is proving hard going for all of us - I presumed that it would offer a solid Christian perspective, but the text really seems anti science. Maybe it will get better. The elementary science texts were so positive.



Apologia General Science works through a time-line of key scientists in the development of Science as a discipline. I've looked at a couple of ways of dealing with this material, being organized is always a blessing, but I can see that their is enough of a mixture of stuff we kinda know and new stuff to give us lots of sidelines to explore. My intention this week is to work through the book discussing the time-line as we go and building a time-line in our science books. It would be good to get through the rest of the chapter we still have 40 pages to go so I need to look at covering around 10 pages an afternoon. Its starting to feel like a marathon so I'm definitely playing this one by ear.

No comments: