Sunday, May 18, 2008

Separate paths

Over the years our home school journey has worked best with us all on the same page. If only because then I can read that page once. Now that my oldest the artist is independently reading it may be time to re-think the plan.

So my artist will be left to continue on the plan that I had for her at the start of the year. Originally I was trying to give her an overview of history before we start into a great books style approach from when she turns 13. She's currently studying the reformation based on the world of books by Genevieve Foster. I wanted her to have a world focus to here history, rather than an American focus, so I could add in our own New Zealand History easier.

My youngest, the nature lover, has been reading on the same track. I have to decide soon whether to leave him there, or let him move back to a study of Greece and Rome, using the Famous Men of ____ books that Memoria Press has reprinted with colour illustrations. If we switch it will be easier to pick up the progym with him again. Either way he will be able to continue moving forwards at a comfortable pace, which means that I don't have to be worried about his academics.

My engineer however is a different story. He's never seen the point to school is seems to get in the way of his grand plans. While we have made progress in the past, it seems to come and go. One day he will try and the next sit passively and wait until the day is over. Historically we have come to loggerheads over this which never manages to improve the situation. My first plan is to let him wait it out until he is ready to give school a real try. I suspect that will mean that he is in his room waiting for the next couple of months and am thinking of what books I should strew in there while I wait for him to get bored. He seems to think that the idea of this is enough and that he is already sorted and ready to go. I still have to think through how this will work because I don't really want him playing at school without putting his heart into it.

2 comments:

Savannah said...

I happened upon your blog one day while I was searching for others who are both living for the Lord and homeschooling their children. From time to time I have the honor of "visiting with you" on your blog. The glimpses I get into your life are inspiring and encouraging. Today, as I have caught up in all that you have shared over the last month or so, I was reminded of two important personal goals in my own homeschool: one, meet my children right where they are with the appropriate resources and at just the right time; and two, encourage self-directedness in their learning. Although you and I are many miles away from each other (you in New Zealand and I in the U.S.) and most likely will never meet face-to-face here on earth, I do appreciate you sharing your life with me (and others) virtually and will gladly meet with you in Heaven one day.

Valda said...

Thanks Savannah,

Most of my home school inspiration comes from people stateside, so I am glad to contribute to the conversation. By the way I enjoyed wandering through your blog as well.