Saturday, August 7, 2010

Settling an out of control year

This morning  I woke up, still chewing over the stress that has crept into our home school and a steady stream of posts like this one that has me revisiting the idea that our home school is not meant to be a stressful race to finish each lesson. I've been tossing around all week what to do.

Do we combine back to our routine of  one humanities subject a week, essay and art project at the end...freedom, or do we race to get through what we have been struggling to achieve...a full Veritas humanities program.

Do I combine kids who, well truly are benefiting from separate courses, especially the youngest who is a visual learner and loves his independence and isn't ready at all for omnibus related conversations. Or the oldest who has tried to step up to the mark but missed out from art and writing sliding off the desk because we aren't finished the week yet.

Ahaa... instead of combining, but still taking back control of our curriculum, I'm going to drop back to one humanities subject a week, just one focus for our learning, one book or idea to play with. Yes. I'm actually staarating to enjoy my weekend and look forward to next week.

No comments: