Saturday, April 25, 2009

Putting it together

I have been trying to work through a daily rhythm that lets us move from a textbook school at home base towards something more natural, multi-level and yet retains a christian classical undertone. What does that mean for me. I want us to grow in the search of truth, beauty and virtue. In doing so I want the freedom to recognize that the ultimate expression of all of these are found in the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. However, I am also aware that God sends his good gifts on all people and that truth, beauty and virtue can be found throughout the world and the people he created.

I want each day, or rather group of days to be centered on a single topic or book one read-aloud that we can share, discuss and bounce off. Some of these by necessity are story based textbooks, others will be more of a true living book.

For Latin, Maths and Greek I simply want to keep us moving forward in our respective texts spending time each day discussing the lessons, so board work and some time working independently of the topics we are studying. These three subjects seem to form a separate group from the rest of the topics, they are not easy to integrate, and they need a fairly consistent approach if we are not going to get bogged down in them. I still have to work out how they will look in practice.

My other block of subjects that I want to see as a block are those skills that allow us to express ourselves, and which we need instruction in to develop skills. Spelling, Writing, Grammar, Comprehension skills, Logic and Art.



For daily routines I can see some conflicts between my ideas and the preferred rhythm of my children. My choice

Circle time, poem and drills,

Maths, Latin and Greek

Skills work, dictation (Spelling) diagramming, parsing, skill development ... and then indepth inWriting, Grammar, Comprehension skills, Logic and Art.

Notebooks studies, where it all comes together and we start to put our skills in practice.

The kids would do it differrently probably they would run it:

Circle time and notebooks,

Maths, Latin and Greek,

Skills work.

It sounds simple and at the moment simple sounds good.

No comments: