Friday, February 27, 2009

Week 4

Four weeks into term and we are starting to see a settling into the year, an expectation and a sense of fun. Finding the balance between fun and learning seems to be a challenge for us. Slowly I'm finding the patience to work towards balance and towards the end of this week could see some positive changes.

My Artist managed to dig herself back out of some of the bogs that have been developing in maths and writing. As long as we manage to talk through a lesson before we begin she has a good lesson and manages to get through her work confidently. When we don't umm :-(. Her writing program is a bit like that as well. By the end of the week we had a good rhythm of talking through the lessons before we began and she did well. She definitely wants to step up to the mark and to do well and its encouraging to see that. She finished the first year of Henle 1 last week!! So now we are back to verbs, I've missed having to think through what form of the verb to put in a sentence - strangely.

The Engineer - well he made it through his morning subjects in the end - and for him that is a good week. I'm hoping that his confidence in doing school also grows. I can see him enjoying the increased freedom in our afternoon studies, especially if he gets to read more and write less.

And the Naturalist - he had a fun week. I've finally let him loose on CW Aesop and he's having fun. He is such a contrast to his siblings, so structured and focused. He's my only kid that can seem to play around all morning and still turn in all his school finished first.

For Me - 4 months after we started re-decorating, I'm up to date with my girl in terms of Latin (Yep Mum finished the first year of Henle this afternoon.) and Greek. So now I can find my own rhythem to the day wihtout being overloaded. Its strange after years of trying to design the perfect schedule or routine I'm finding that having a lot more flexibility and some daily goals to be easiest. Just a list of things to acheive and keeping the decks clear enough that I'm not interuppted with distractions. Maybe there is more than a little trace of my Engineer's wandering nature in me not that I want to admit it.


No comments: