Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Rediscovering routines

Since we started back into the formal learning side of the year we've been working on a few new routines and more importantly re-instituted some old ones.
  • We've picked up a good book for story time - well some of us are enjoying  it  - we started on the Lord of the Rings - unfortunately it is a little on the scary side for my youngest. I want to read it aloud before my oldest gets to it in Omnibus. While the choice of book might be causing problems, getting away from the TV and back into a good story has been good. 
  • We have a new learning time routine - instead of trying to juggle each child individually we are running blocks of maths, Greek, Latin etc. I sit with the kids and work alongside in Latin and Greek, hand-hold everyone in maths, and mark/discuss when they head into their omnibus/science/ history type subjects.
  • I've turned morning tea into a mini circle time and brought back those CM things that I miss from our Ambleside days - artist, poetry and music studies, as well as a slot to work through the fallacy detective - which really is too much fun to do alone
  • The last change is more practical that fun - we dropped writing out of the daily plan and have consolidated it into our Fridays art and writing day. So far the fun projects have been put aside in order to do Classical writing. this is the change that still needs work. I love what classical writing covers, but I also enjoyed having a more fun project day.  Omnibus almost gives us the Omnibus but not quite. Doing both is an overkill and yet I haven't managed to find the balance yet.

No comments: