Sunday, July 11, 2010

Musings

Its been a long time since I've blogged... a very long time. In the earlier parts of this week I've come to wonder if blogging is something useful, or something distracting. I haven't necessarily missed the world of cyberspace as the world around my desk descended into chaos. Another learning journey that didn't quite hit the mark. I am getting a smaller field of what does and doesn't work both for me and for my family.  So after a 20 week experiment with curriculum that I love. yes mostly i do enjoy the mix of Veritas, classical writing, Latin, Greek and maths that make up our lives...I'm back to fine tuning. Not changing the content but definitely the delivery.

So for the next week I'm looking at a return to the old units, having one or two per week per child, and then being able to  amend what we do according to our learning. Running the Omnibus straight for my eldest has proved to be more of a challenge than either of us need.  I need to take a teaching not a student role and manage her work more. Doing the next thing isn't going to get us through this one.  For one she isn't getting the creativity. And were ending up in a bogg where she has to do narrations for all her reading and then written answers to all the discussions because discussions require a level of thought that just isn't happening on the spot. So we're looking at modified Omnibus for her. Hopefully without me having to work through more than I am already doing.

Simplicity if definitely a bonus if we can achieve that.

No comments: