Saturday, October 4, 2008

Spring Break


During this last week we have had a chance to catch our breath and relax, apart from praying for the Staffer family, and recovering from a sore throat...

  • I've replaced my trees with fruit trees , an apple, a fig, a cherry, a quince, and two pears. I've also planted a red current bush, a gooseberry, and put in seeds for this years vegetable garden. We don't have much space for veges at the moment, but the more I read about the modern varieties compared to the older ones the more I want to grow our own healthy crops. We went through the same thoughts with the fruit trees, the heritage varieties seem to have it over the modern equivalents both for nutrition and for disease resistance.
  • We have caught up with friends from out of town. My artist enjoyed that heaps.
  • The children have been making puppets which has been fun - I'm hoping that they also put on a puppet show this week.
  • We have done our spring/summer clothing shop (if I hit the sale I can do this in one hit and then we don't have to go clothes shopping again)
  • The boys have done electronics kits with Dad, with mixed but positive results - me engineers project beautifully put together didn't work, but both boys managed to enjoy their time.
  • I've partly caught up on my Latin and Greek work so that my beloved artist is only one lesson ahead of me.
  • And we have started to enjoy each others company again. I am hoping that chilling out this week, putting life in perspective, and the changes that Dad has implemented by reviewing the Engineer's work will set us up for a much better term.
I've often worked the kids through the holidays or played with putting them through the term, and variations thereof. It is nice to relax as a family and enjoy time to chill out, rest up and get other important things done. I need to remember this next time I'm tempted to work through.

1 comment:

Quotidian Life said...

I love your header, Valda. Very nicely done. We have two big fig trees in our yard and I've been making fig preserves for the first time. Very easy and very delicious!