Saturday, April 26, 2008

Getting My Head Around Mastery

It sounds really simple - you teach to the level that your children are ready to learn.. sometimes stretching them, sometimes easing back and letting them get their confidence, sometimes continuing on the journey while they gather information.

It really sounds simple.

I work hard to get the level right and get everyone happy, then I look at what they could be doing. I glance at someone's schedule for the next year, or the next grade, I consider the big picture from "X" home school education supplier, and it falls to custard again.

You really would think I would have gotten the idea by now - unfortunately I'm still getting there.

We have improved our daily learning times so much simply by working where each child is. We are happy when mum concentrates just on one lesson, one week, one objective. We find our rabbit trails, end up discussion theology, finding links pulling it together, exploring, growing and having fun. Then I look at the goal written by someone else and suddenly I'm pushing.

My husband put it nicely - one really good day and my expectations jump back to where my "perfect kids" would have been had I been the "perfect" home school mum. As I do that I loose sight of the reality of learning the lessons that God has for us, the lesson that he has given me - a unique person and my three unique children.

In the midst of all of this is a small voice whispering that it's time to stop looking at the big picture, time to stop planning and to start learning. That the next step will always be waiting for us just ahead. That already I have studies and re-studied the accepted classical path, and no its time to take our journey. To reach out for the next thing, and to enjoy the journey.

I just have to remember this beyond Monday morning.



This Owl turned up in our back yard almost a year ago, on one of those days where I had taken my eyes of the possible and was stressing over the impossible. It stayed for 2 days in our suburban back yard before returning to more natural surroundings. It is a special reminder for me to trust...

No comments: